There is a common misconception that “all builders are the same”, however, most builders focus on one market segment and are not experts in all aspects of construction.
There are a lot of builders in Perth, and on the surface, the product, service and prices they offer can seem quite similar. It wouldn’t be wrong of anyone to think that they are all the same, after all, they all build houses?
Unfortunately, that is the thinking of a lot of first time developers who engage with a builder for their first development. What they don’t understand is that the processes, approvals, procedures and construction of a development site can differ quite greatly from a regular single dwelling. Not all building companies are qualified or experienced in delivering a development product that will meet the financial goals and needs of the developer, as they are experts in owner occupied segments in the market.
Why aren’t all builders the same?
Some builders claim they are development experts, but they lack any specialists who understand the complexities of a development site. When sourcing a builder ask them about the experience of the following key staff who will be working with you on your project:
- How many development sites has the Sales Consultant worked on?
- Do they understand the R codes, zoning and requirements for developers in the local council?
- Do they understand your goals as a developer to meet your development needs?
- Does the consultant only work with developers or is your development a job to fill the sales book?
- Does the building company do it’s own developments?
- Has the consultant completed their own personal developments?
- Do the designers understand the best way to maximise the space on your block?
- Do they understand the council and planning requirements for your area?
- Do they design dwellings with your target buyer or renter in mind?
- Do they understand the best design techniques to minimise construction costs?
- Is development design their only job task?
- Do the estimating team know how to negotiate with suppliers to get the best deals on multi unit sites?
- Do they understand the site works involved in a development site and know the best ways to reduce costs?
- Have the scheduling team worked on multi unit sites before?
- Do they have the experience to reduce delays in construction by getting the materials required to site on time for all units?
- Do the administration team understand how to successfully submit planning and building approvals?
- Do the administration staff only work with developers – the process is very different?
- Are the Pre-start Consultants trained to guide you in what works and what does not in developments – your not dealing with owner occupiers?
- Are the Construction team experienced in supervising multi unit sites?
- Do they understand how to manage units at different stages of construction to minimise delivery times?
- Do they understand that time is money and how delays on site will affect you as an investor?
How do I find the right builder for my development?
Research is the best way to ensure you approach and work with the right builders for your development. Don’t be tempted by a promotional deal from a builder who does not specialise in units, it may end up costing you more eventually.
Don’t be afraid to ask your builder to provide you with examples of similar developments they have done to make sure you are comfortable before you sign up.
Ventura iD and Multi Living Developments offer a free consultation service so you can see if developing is an option for you. Call (08) 9241 1600.